Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 3: Intercession

Week 3 was a big challenge for me. Here's an overview of what we did...

Monday
Our teacher for the week was David Voncannon, and he taught on Intercession. The first day, he taught mostly on what intercession is, why it's important, and examples of it found in the Bible. About halfway through class, David noticed I was having a bit of a hard time, and he had everyone circle around me and pray for me, which was very helpful. He also gave me a drawing made for me by a girl in the El Salvador DTS, where he was teaching last. (At the end of the week, he has everyone pick a student from his next group and draw them a picture and write them a note. More on this for Friday.) It was amazing how relevant it was to what I was dealing with.

Monday afternoon, I went on my first hike with Luke, Robert, Ryan, and Mirjam. It was amazing! I thought I wouldn't like it very much, but it was great, and so ridiculously beautiful.


This is the biggest freaking leaf I've ever seen in my whole life.
Here are some pictures from our view while hiking.




However, on the way back down the adventure came to a sudden stop when Robert twisted his ankle. We finally got him down, though, with the help of some staff and some Guatemalans in the area. When he got back to the base, though, David prayed over his ankle and he was healed enough to walk! He said it still felt tight, though.

Tuesday
In class on Tuesday, David taught on renewing our minds, which was a very helpful lesson. Then, a few minutes into class, David asked us to finish praying for Robert's ankle, and this time it was fully healed. It was amazing to be a part of that. After our break, we discussed hearing God's voice. David gave us tips for hearing Him and a list of some of the ways He can talk to us; some of which were obvious, such as through the Bible, but some were less obvious, such as through situations and art. 

Tuesday night was another peaceful night at the base.

Wednesday
In class on Wednesday, we talked about faith. We discussed what faith actually is, and why it's important. Then we talked more about the steps and effects of intercession.

Wednesday night we watched a movie called Father of Lights, which was very good and thought provoking.

Thursday
On Thursday morning, we talked briefly about spiritual warfare; what it is, and how to deal with it. Then, we closed our week on intercession with a prayer walk around Ciudad Vieja.



That evening we watched a documentary about Guatemala, which was very enlightening and interesting. Then we had worship practice for the following morning. As you can see, we stayed very focused the whole time.


Friday
On Friday, for intercession, we each picked the name of a student from David's next group and prayed for them. Then, we drew them a picture and wrote them a note on the back. It was a really cool experience, especially because I know how much my picture from David's last group impacted me. Then we had worship, quiet time, and small group time, as we do every Friday. Then, after lunch, we went hiking again, and were completely shocked by the path we found. It started out normally, a dirt road going up the volcano, but then it turned into a rainforest and the path was almost completely volcanic rock! It was different than I'd seen before, though. The volcanic rock I've seen before is black or red and full of holes; this rock was gray-blue, sparkly, and completely solid. We climbed over rock walls and around cliffs and I lost any fear I ever had of falling. It was one of the most amazing experience I have ever had in my entire life, and I cannot wait to go back on Monday.








That night, I hung out at the base and talked to Mom and a friend from Pacaya, Guatemala. Then we had a bonfire on the roof before we went to bed.

Saturday
Today I've stayed home to catch up on homework, blog posts, photo uploading, laundry, and sleep. It's been a great and very productive morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, choose "Name/URL" from the "Comment as" drop-down box, and enter your name.