Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 7: Evangelism

This week, we learned about evangelism with Mark Annand. He's on staff here at YWAM Antigua, and he's the father of one of my close friends in DTS with me. He's also the guy that does Soul Patrol: the illusion show and gospel sharing in Central Park on the weekends.

Monday
Monday, we started evangelism class, and it was really cool. Mark is a great teacher and he's really good at keeping our attention. In the afternoon, I helped out with Ashley's English class and we had our Monday night service at IDC. I tried to sign up at the school I'm going to attend after DTS, but I didn't quite have all of the stuff I needed with me to enroll.

Tuesday
Class on Tuesday illuminated for me a topic I've never been able to really understand: the Law in the Old Testament. Mark taught us that God didn't make it because He thought people could live by it, but to give everyone a standard to compare ourselves to, or a mirror to look in to see just how much we need a Savior. Mark talked about how that's a good place to start when evangelizing, so people can actually see their need to come to Jesus. Because most people thing they're good enough people so long as they don't murder and rob banks, it's good to show them that they have broken God's perfect law and they do need Jesus to cover their sins and give them grace. I think this concept is incredibly helpful here in Guatemala and probably in all of Central America, because most everyone seems to believe in God and is just a bit fuzzy on the concept of salvation, but in other parts of the world I think it might be quite unhelpful.

After dinner, I went into Antigua to register at the school, Máximo Nivel, and it went very smoothly. Then I got some really good onion rings!

Wednesday
On Wednesday, Mark talked about how to share the good news with people. We also went over writing one-minute testimonies, which are actually really effective in communicating the goodness of God and sharing what He's done in your life. In the evening, we got together and shared our long testimonies. I had to go first, so I didn't get to share half the stuff I had planned to because I forgot to say it, but it was still really really cool to share my life with my group and hear about theirs as well.

Thursday
Mark finished up evangelism class on Thursday. We started by listing on the white board common questions about and objections to Christianity, and then Mark showed us how to give short answers that will satisfy the asker and get back to the subject of sharing the Gospel. Then he showed us some of his illusions!

After dinner, we watched the movie End of the Spear, which is about the missionary Jim Elliot and his group of friends and family working with the Auca people in Ecuador. I thought it was good, but my dear friend Cody, who is an amateur Jim Elliot expert, says, "It was a terrible movie! If you've read the book, you'll know it was a SHAM!" He's quite passionate about this issue.

Friday
Friday was good but a bit boring. We just had our typical Friday activities, which are worship, intercession, and small group. Also, I taught Madison how to crochet and we had Tom's birthday. So, the highlight is probably that I got to write on a cake in German. There's a first time for everything.

Saturday
Saturday was quite the adventure. After breakfast, Mirjam (the Swiss lady) and I tried to take busses to go visit my friends near Pacaya, but we didn't get all the way there because the last leg of the bus trip takes a long time and we had to get back to the base before dark. However, in the last town we stopped in, Mirjam stopped to witness to a man at a tienda (little store) and I saw a couple of my friends from Pacaya across the street! I talked to them for a while, and then we headed back. I thought it was really funny that we took eight busses and two metros for the equivalent of $6. I love this country.

Sunday
Sunday was a lovely, lazy day filled with FaceTiming Hannah, hanging out with friends here at the base, a short worship service in the evening, and dying Bailey's hair.

Bonus: a video of one of Mark's illusions from Soul Patrol in the park!




No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, choose "Name/URL" from the "Comment as" drop-down box, and enter your name.